Old-Fashioned ice cream
For over 90 years Petersen's Ice Cream Company has been producing and selling "Old Fashioned" ice cream. Since our beginnings in 1919, we have strived to make quality our #1 priority.
In 1919, Hans Petersen, a Danish immigrant arrived in Oak Park. Apprenticed and trained as a Confectioner in his native land, he opened an ice cream shop in that same year in downtown Oak Park. He applied his old world recipe of 18% butterfat ice cream, combined with the finest of flavorings, fruits, and nuts. His venture was instant success. That same recipe has endured for over 90 years. In 1925 he purchased a milk supply plant at 5825 West Lake Street, in Chicago and remodeled it into an ice cream production plant. In 1931, he moved his Ice Cream Shop to 1100 Chicago Avenue, which is in the Frank Lloyd Wright historical district of Oak Park, lllinois, where it has been in continuous operation since that time. In 1963, Mr. Petersen died and willed his company to five employees who had been with him for, not less than 30 years each, as his appreciation for their service. In 2007, the company was sold to its current owner, who made a complete renovation to the Oak Park Ice Cream Parlor in 2010. In 2012, Petersen's family grows in Arizona opening it's first location in the Valley.